Students who choose fully online programs have unique motivations, needs, and preferences. From how they research programs to their career goals, the characteristics and behaviors of online college students hold the key to building successful online programs.
Click the image below to view the full infographic.
Wants to Learn On-the-Go
74% of online students want to use mobile devices for their programs.
Students use mobile devices (phones or tablets) to complete various activities.
• 35%–Watching Videos or Other Multimedia
• 32%–Completing Practice Activities
• 27%–Completing Graded Activities
• 25%–Communicating with Professors
• 23%–Communicating with Other Students
Feels Pride in Their School
36% of online learners consider the reputation of schools or programs as important when enrolling.
Students continue their relationships with their alma maters after graduation.
• 22%–Refer new students to the school
• 12%–Donate to their school
47% of online college students submit prospective online college students applications within four weeks of beginning their searches.
Online students expect speed throughout the process. They value the acceptance of transfer credits and the ability to complete their programs quickly and flexibly.
Has Transfer Credits
Most online college students have previous college credit they would like to transfer.
• 87%–of undergraduate students brought transfer credits to their online program
• 52%–of students earned previous credits in an on-campus classroom setting
Uses Career Services
NEARLY HALF of online college students use at least one career service offering.
• 54%–Career Advising
• 37%–Job Search Assistance
• 37%–School Job Search Website
• 31%–Resume Creation Services
Views Online Learning as a Top Option
52% of online students would continue searching for a school with the right online program rather than settling for an on-campus program
DOWNLOAD YOUR COPY OF Online College Students 2020.
To continue exploring the changing world of the online college student, download Online College Students 2020. The ninth-annual report examines significant trends and findings about the behaviors, preferences, and experiences of online learners.